ebay! If you havent heard the word in your life, then you might want to check your pulse. Here are 8 interesting facts about Ebay one of the virtual worlds leading giants.
1. Ebay maintains four copies of most of its databases.
Talk about redundancy. Its nice to know theyve got our back when we use Ebay. Good reason for us to do the same for ourselves. My 7 gig hard drive is nearly full. What would happen if it suddenly stopped working? Without a backup I would be sunk.
2. On an average, EBay.com experiences down-time related issues for about 50 seconds each day.
Considering its size, thats certainly not bad news.
3. There are nearly 1 billion page views of Ebay per day.
If only my site could reflect that volume. Can you say Adsense Cha Ching!
4. Ebay users exchange nearly $1,700 worth of goods every second.
Im not sure how this recession we are in affects those numbers. It would seem that the totals might be down, but Ive heard that the online economy is still booming unlike many parts of the real world today.
5. Today, Ebay boasts around 600 million listings, as well as, 204 million registered users.
Given that those who join Ebay become members, this fact demonstrates how powerful a membership related website can really be.
6. The real world acts as a load-balancing engine for the virtual world of Ebay. When Europe is the most active the US is asleep; and vice versa.
7. Europe is the 2nd largest regional user of Ebay.
Can you guess who the largest user of Ebay would be?
8. 10 terabytes of new storage are added to Ebay every week to cover new transactions that are being made.
And to think that in yesteryear a highly technical guru stated that there would never be a need for more than 12 personal computers across the entire US.
So next time you are enjoying a dinner party, remember to bring up these facts about Ebay. They are certain to lead to some interesting discussions.